Thursday, 27 March 2014

Mi Blog Es Tu Blog - Annabel Cullen

I first became aware of Annabel's work when I saw her portrait of  Baroness Blackstone hanging in the National Portrait Gallery. This year I had the pleasure of meeting her briefly as we showed together in the Portrait Painters Today Exhibition. Here Annabel writes about a painting I just saw last week being honoured with one of the prizes at the Lynn Painters- Stainers Prize.






Who are you?
I am a painter based in London.  I rarely paint anything other than people, but I spend a lot of time drawing trees.

Something about this one
This was a return to painting after a long break during which I only made drawings.  I wanted to get an element of Adrian's torso being almost like a marble sculpture emerging from the wall.  The tones and texture of his pale skin fascinate me, and there is something fragile about his physicality, in spite of his muscular physique. 

Where is it now?
It currently showing at the Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize exhibition at the Mall Galleries in London (until 22 March).  It was shortlisted for the prize.

Technical notes
Oil on canvas with limited palette:
Zinc white
Paynes Grey
Raw Sienna
Burnt Sienna

Website



No comments: