Wednesday, 11 September 2013

My virtual outlet is now open




    A few months ago I wrote a series of posts about monotypes. Since then, although I had a long summer hyatus, I have been working a lot in this medium, and I decided to open an online shop for my small monotypes.

     A little recap on how I make them. There are many techniques but I chose to work in monochrome, manipulating the ink with a brush, folded fabric or my fingers. I paint on copper or zinc plates, moving thick ink around, removing it, painting it on, blotting it etc., and when I am happy with it I print the image on watercolour paper. After printing I wipe the plate clean, so if I am making a second version of the same subject I have to start again. Every monotype is thus an original work.


Here are some process pictures: I paint the ink on the plate, pass it through the press , ta-dah moment. Note how there's no more ink left on the plate, that is then wiped clean. Only one copy, no other reproductions.



When I was twenty I did quite I lot of etching, and after all those years I rediscovered the pure beauty of the printed ink, the tactility of working without a brush, the difficulty of the small format, he subtlety of tone, the intimacy of the plate. My working method varies very much from what I do with oil paint. The ink dries very fast, so I do some preparatory work before hand, maybe a small thumbnail sketch, and then once I start I don't raise my head from the work until I am ready for printing. A small break to wash my hand so I don't mess up the paper and then printing, considering the result, cleaning the plate and starting again.



     

My largest works, the 20x30 cm, have been framed and will be shown for the first time next month at the Affordable Art Fair in New York, but I reserved the smaller ones for myself to sell them directly.




     After a little research I decided to open a shop on Etsy, a very good platform for online commerce of handmade objects. The shop is called PRINTED ONCE and I will try to keep it stocked with a choice of about fifteen monotypes at all times. If you visit you will recognise recurring themes from my work: still life, figure works and studies from the old masters.

     I joke about this being the realisation of a childhood dream, because my big sister, when we played "shop" would never ever let me be the shop assistent, I was always casted as the lady customer !
Actually I am quite excited about selling my work directly, and I have been mounting works on mats, ordering boarded envelopes and finding out shipping prices. Now I am all set and ready to go, so please ladies and gentleman come and visit !