Friday, 9 August 2013

Mi Blog Es Tu Blog - Adele Wagstaff

Adele and I often discuss painting over a cup of coffee. 
I am a big fan of her work and very happy to publish her contribution:



Contemplation
Oil on Linen, 46 x 35.5 cm



WHO ARE YOU ?
I am a painter, originally from Yorkshire and now working deep in the South from my studio in a small rural village, but not too far from London.

WHY THIS ONE:
I pondered about this, looking through a number of recent paintings. I still though came back to this one, exhibited at the BP Portrait Award in 2006. It was one of the first portraits I have made of my friend Beth, who has been sitting for me regularly for over ten years now. For me it still expresses her essence, quietness and sensitivity, more than any of the other portraits I have made of her. The painting was made into a postcard for the exhibition and it felt very strange seeing people clutching it in the shop. More so when going into the exhibition seeing students standing in front of it making drawings! Subsequently it has appeared on the cover of the Penguin Classic Heat Wave by Penelope Lively.

SOMETHING ABOUT IT:
It was painted over a number of months. Beth was at University at the time so we worked intensively whenever she was home.

TECHNICAL NOTES:
The painting is oil on a favourite Belgian linen and measures 14 x 18 inches.. The oils are a mix of Winsor & Newton, Michael Harding and Blockx.

WHERE IS IT NOW:
Hanging in my living room, hung on a wall of deep burgundy so the colours really shine out.

BASIC PALETTE:


Titanium white/flake white

cadmium lemon
cadmium yellow
raw sienna
cadmium red
rose madder or alizarin crimson
emerald green
terre verte
cerulean blue
french ultramarine
raw umber

WEBSITE:
www.adelewagstaff.co.uk




No comments: