Thursday, 4 July 2013

Mi Blog Es Tu Blog - Sophie Ploeg

My friendship with Sophie started on Facebook and we have met a couple of times in London, lately for the opening of the BP Portrait Prize Show 2013.


Self Portrait with Lace Collar
oil on panel, 24x30cm

Sophie Ploeg

WHO ARE YOU?
I am a Dutch painter based in South Gloucestershire. Married to an Englishman, 2 young sons and a mad but ageing dog. Trained as an art & architectural historian but now mostly painting in my home studio while keeping an eye on the kids.

WHY THIS ONE?
I thought long and hard but it had to be this one. I usually like my latest work best anyway and this one got me into the BP Portrait Award Exhibition this year where I also gained the Travel Award for my travel proposal. Lets just hope this is the start of greater things to come....

SOMETHING ABOUT IT
I did a series of self portraits exploring the subject. The idea for this one came from visiting an exhibition by a charcoal artist and I was taken by the strong chiaroscuro. The lace collar comes from my interest in historic lace, although in this painting I did not paint it into meticulous detail as I sometimes do.

TECHNICAL NOTES
I used a birch panel for this which came gesso primed. I added an alkyd oil primer on top as I don't like the absorbency of gesso or acrylic primers. The smoothness of the panel forced me to sand, repaint and store in a dust free area a few times in order to get the dark areas lint free.

WHERE IT IS NOW
National Portrait Gallery London!

BASIC PALETTE
I struggle with this question as I don't work this methodical. But I'll list the colours I use most often, while rummaging through my paint drawers:

Brilliant Yellow extra Pale
Unbleached Titanium
Ship Rock (Vasari)
Shale (Vasari)
Bluff (Vasari)
Burnt Umber
Brilliant Yellow Light
Raw Sienna
Terra Pozzuoli (Mussini)
Brilliant Scarlet (Mussini)
Bice (Vasari)
Indigo Tone (Mussini) / Prussian Blue
Lamp/Ivory Black

WEBSITE

No comments: