Monday, 15 July 2013

Mi Blog Es Tu Blog - Olha Pryymak

I saw Olha's work for the first time at the BP Portrait Prize in 2011. I was very happy and excited when she got the Bulldog Bursary last year and I enjoy chatting with her on painting, kids and being an expat in London. 
I like the straight forward way in which she explores every genres, from narrative themes to still life or landscape.

Here's her contribution:



Love Story No. 6



WHO ARE YOU ?
A painter of people and things. 


WHY THIS ONE:
I had the most fun in the process of working on this particular portrait. Maybe because the sitter is familiar or because of all the paint involved. 

SOMETHING ABOUT IT:
The portrait depicts the main character of Eugene Onegin story by Sergei Pushkin. I cast my friend Jim to play the role for me. He is a musician and performs in character, dressed in a cape and wearing face paint. He changes his colour from gig to gig. Here I caught him in blue. 
The series (Love story no. 6) exhibited at the Rough Trade East in July 2012 which reiterated the music connection and etablished East London as a set of the re-interpreted story. Here are the rest of the characters and pictures from the series. 

TECHNICAL NOTES:
The paintings are oil on sealed wood board. 

WHERE IS IT NOW:
On my wall at home. 

BASIC PALETTE:
Titanium while
Prussian Blue
Ultramarine
Indigo
Mars transparent orange
Alizarin Crimson
Ochre yellow

WEBSITE






No comments: