Wednesday, 31 July 2013

Mi Blog Es Tu Blog- Mathieu Weemaels


Mathieu and I correspond on Facebook from time to time. He has kindly sent me a copy of his book which I have perused in the last months.
I admire his muted palette and the intimacy of his works.
Here is his contribution:




Water on the Roof

oil on canvas 70X60cm - 2012



WHO ARE YOU ?

 I'm a belgian painter, living and painting ( a lot ) in Brussels.

WHY THIS ONE?

 I would have wanted to choose a pastel as this is my predilection medium, the medium that I use since my very beginnings , but I really like this one so, "tant pis",  too bad for the technique.I chose this one because I think it resumes a lot of things I love in painting, in my approach at least : an abstract way of painting reality. I could call it abstract figuration.And also because the departure subject is extremely mundane : a flat roof with rain water on it (very belgian subject as it rains a lot here), reflecting the houses, and the sky. I consider that simple subjects are a good way to "talk" about more complex things.Fnally because I often use reflections in my compositions, and mirror games. This natural mirror made of water appears again here in a different way.

SOMETHING ABOUT IT

 I painted several versions, sometimes more realistic sometimes less.


TECHNICAL NOTES
Nothing special : made in Belgium, with normal brushes, normal ( but good quality ) oil paintings, normal canvas and almost normal painter.May be I could add that the thing I love with oil painting (that is not really possible with pastel) is working in paste.

WHERE IS IT NOW 

It's in a house in Brussels.

BASIC PALETTE

I couldn't say , I forgot it completely. I just know that I love greys and the sublime violet- grey of Old Holland.

WEBSITE 

www.mathieuweemaels.be



No comments: