Sunday, 7 July 2013

Mi Blog Es Tu Blog III - Anthony Yates

I have come across Anthony's work at the recent Ruth Borchard Self Portrait Competition, where he was showing a small and sensitive painting.

This is his contribution:




          A DREAM OF SOMETHING
              oil on canvas 16”x 16”


This small painting was made a few years ago. The model is my teenage daughter – she is now in her early 20’s. It is painted entirely on the spot over about three sittings, always at the same time in the early evening. The painting composed itself. It came about through looking at the repeated actions of my daughter. She would return home from school, go upstairs, change into her “sloppies” come back down the stairs which open through a door into our back room and sit moodily on the bottom step. The old television was usually on and the boat on top was there at the time as a souvenir from a seaside holiday. She didn’t want to be painted and when I asked her to assume the pose she normally took up she deliberately sat on her hands as a sign of dissent – so I painted her like this. The only technical point I can remember was - how to render the television screen? In the first sitting I painted it orange – the opposite of the colour I wanted – and when this was dry I madee blue image over it. When I first exhibited this painting it won a prize, but I think I’m lucky, - not all paintings behave themselves like this one did!


You might like to know a little about the title of my painting
a dream of something.

It is, in fact, the title of a novel by Pier Paolo Pasolini. Set in and around Friuli, Italy, in 1948. The story concerns youths looking for work, and who lead lives of dancing on Sundays, drinking wine and making music, cycling around the countryside and generally experiencing the pleasures and pains of love, as well as the sorrow of death.
I was reading it at the time of making this painting and the title seemed to fit in with what I wanted - if that makes sense?


 (Anthony Yates sells his work through various galleries and a good selection of his work can be found on www.fossegallery.comwww.fossegallery.com)

No comments: