Wednesday, 26 June 2013

Mi Blog Es Tu Blog I - James Bland

Out of sheer summer laziness I have asked a few painters to guest-post on the blog, selecting one of their paintings and writing a few words about it.

The first one of the series is James Bland. I am a great fan and collector of his work.



WHO ARE YOU:


I’m a painter from Grimsby. I live in Kent and teach part-time.


WHY THIS ONE:


This was the first painting I sold in London, at the 2008 Cork Street Open Exhibition. Until then I had no idea whether my paintings would appeal to other people.


SOMETHING ABOUT IT:


I worked mainly from drawings. The violinist is based on a study by Degas. The violin and rose were set up in the studio and painted from life.


TECHNICAL NOTES:


It’s an oil painting on linen prepared with rabbit skin glue and oil primer. Some parts were painted with transparent glazes over tonal underpainting - an experiment I haven't found occasion to repeat, though I like the effect here.


WHERE IS IT NOW:


I don’t know.


BASIC PALETTE:


Titanium White


Winsor Lemon


Cadmium Yellow


Cadmium Orange


Cadmium Red


Alizarin Crimson


Winsor Violet


Ultramarine


Winsor Blue


Viridian


Burnt Umber


WEBSITE:


www.jamesblandpaintings.com




Many thanks to James for contributing !

No comments: