Friday, 29 March 2013

East and West

Some news of past and upcoming shows of my work.
In February my paintings have travelled to Hong Kong where they were very well received.
My art dealer Fine Art Consultancy has told me that she could have sold even more pieces, if she had them with her. BTW the Affordable Art Fair, which is a great idea with a clumsy name, had a new slogan, Take Away Art and a very funky invitation for its HK debut.


I was happy that Chinese collectors have bought, among others, Hidden Lemon II ( 24x34, oil on panel).
I was also present at the AAF in London Battersea a couple of weeks ago with my London gallery, Cricket Fine Art.

My portrait  "Daisy" ( 50x40cm, oil on panel)  has gone past a very tough selection process and will be on display at the Royal Society of Portrait Painters Annual Show at the Mall Galleries in London in May. I was very lucky to have been commissioned to paint this incredibly graceful girl and her equally special siblings Louie, Wilfie and Lily.
I went to their home at weekends and they all sat for me in turns as well as keeping me company while I worked and asking lots of clever questions.

                 





       In the past weeks I have been exchanging sittings with my painter friend Daniel Shadbolt. This is my portrait of him, painted over four sittings at my studio. The painting was among the works considered in the second round of the BP Portrait Award selection although didn't make it through to the exhibition.



After the summer I will be involved in a very exciting project at Principle Gallery in Alexandria, VA.
I was invited by artist Linda Brandon to take part in a collective show.
You are probably aware of a longstanding blog, Women Painting Women, that was started by Alia El Bermani, Sadie Valeri and Diane Feissel to highlight the work of underrepresented female figurative artists.
The blog originated a show in 2010 at Rober Lange Gallery and subsequently a one week painting residency for a selected group of artists and a second show in Virginia.
 WPW (R)evolution is the third exhibition that showcases works from the group: each artist has invited another woman and this is how I got involved. I am planning to be at the opening in September !




1 comment:

jane said...

Exciting stuff! Congrats on getting into the Royal Portrait Show - I will look forward to seeing it in the paint.