Sunday, 12 September 2010

Friends on the Net

I am going to start a series of posts about artists I have met online and in real life in the past years.
Painting is a very solitary occupation, and if you are reading this blog chances are you are aware of the importance of networking for many artists.
Internet has become a place to look at other people's work, ask for critiques and suggestions, or simply chatting with people who are definitely more interested in painting than friends or family members.

    I first signed up to an artist's forum in 2004. Since then, I was always mildly but constantly active online, probably more of a reader than a public writer.
I have made many friends: we started by exchanging messages about our work and ended talking about our lives, including live commenting on football matches, and arranging meetings around the world ( London, Spain, Arizona, Italy). 

At the Prado with Carlos Ygoa   



Painters are a friendly lot and their personalities shine through their work. In many years of exchanging messages and ideas with other painters there was only one time when I felt the person had an ulterior motive for writing.  I can encourage everyone to take advantage of the many opportunities that social networking offers !

No comments: