Saturday, 1 May 2010

One day workshop

Last week I had the chance of conducting a one day workshop with members of the Society Of Fulham Artists and Potters.
The workshop was about painting portraits using photo references.  I started talking about materials and on my ideas for a good palette composition.
I have often seen students whose palette doesn't seem at all consistent with their painting style or what they seem to be trying to achieve. I believe there has to be a rational approach for setting out colours for a specific painting. I generally recommend a palette which includes both earth colours and more chromatic hues, and I mentioned a few colours I find particularly useful. I also suggested some tips for taking good photo reference.




After a brief introduction on colour characteristics and temperature I painted a small demo for about one hour. I am actually still working on the little painting I had started ( The Unwilling Sitter).
The afternoon was dedicated to practice: everyone did a very good job considering the limited time and in some cases the inadequate reference they had brought with them. I hope they will give it another go on their own !
SOFAP Spring Show is opening on the 9th of May at the Fulham Library on Fulham Road and will remain open until the 23rd.

2 comments:

Gary said...

Dear Ilaria, thanks for your very interesting blog and for your wonderful work. I am new to your blog and just reading it through from the beginning, so please forgive me if I am asking questions quite late. You mention here additional pigments for a more complete palette, and also tips for reference photos, and I would be very grateful for any additional mformation you might be able to provide on either topic. Thank you, kind regards, Gary

Gary said...

Dear Ilaria, thanks for your very interesting blog and for your wonderful work. I am new to your blog and just reading it through from the beginning, so please forgive me if I am asking questions quite late. You mention here additional pigments for a more complete palette, and also tips for reference photos, and I would be very grateful for any additional mformation you might be able to provide on either topic. Thank you, kind regards, Gary