Saturday, 16 January 2010

Teaching for the first time


I am very excited about my new adventure starting next week.
After my tutors Tony Rothon and Sarah Nutley decided to stop teaching ( they still offer tutorials which I strongly recommend ) I have put myself forward to keep their Kensington Square class going.
From next week I will be in charge of organizing the sessions for a group of twenty three people and I am also teaching to about ten artists from the group. I am humbly proud ( oxymoron, I know, but this is how I feel ) to say that the course is already oversubscribed.
I have been thinking hard about what sort of information I can offer that can be useful to each of my students. Since they were my class buddies up to a few weeks ago I know them and their work well.
Revising their paintings in my mind,  I am trying to pin down the  problems each of them is facing.

I am making viewfinders, gridded perspex sheets and plumb lines to help with drawing and I am putting together a collection of interesting objects to paint.

I think I will learn a lot from this experience and I can't wait to start.

No comments: