Saturday 8 March 2008

RSPP Show


I have just received confirmation that my painting "The chef and his shadow" has been accepted to the annual exhibition of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters, which will open at the Mall Galleries in London on the 23rd of April until the 11th of May.
A high resolution image of the painting can be found here.
This work was the result of two lucky sessions,during which I painted this subject twice and I like both works very much. This one is painted on panel with gesso priming ( rsg, gesso, linseed oil, titanium pigment and egg, traditional recipe ). I was particularly interested in the unusual format for a portrait and tried to make the most of it. 
 In the morning there was this stronger light from his left and in the afternoon, when I was working on a half figure version on canvas, a warmer light came in from his right, changing all  the colours.
I had lots of fun, nothing beats the excitement of working from life.

No comments: