Thursday, 11 July 2013

Mi Blog Es Tu Blog - Roy Connelly


Once Roy has brought me out on the Thames to introduce me to painting outside. He was practically finished while I was still trying to figure out how to open my French easel. 
This is his contribution:

Roy Connelly
Pin Mill
Oil on board, 20x25cm

WHO ARE YOU ?

I'm an oil painter. I paint outside all year round and, occassionally, in the studio. I'm based in picturesque rural Suffolk close to the former homes of John Constable and Thomas Gainsborough.

WHY THIS ONE:

This is the first picture I painted at Pin Mill.


SOMETHING ABOUT IT:

I walked down the hill to Pin Mill and the water was obscured by a layer of fog with just the tops of the masts poking through. It began to clear as I set up and the scene just got better after that. When I had finished, the day was bright and clear and not nearly as atmospheric. Much of plein air painting is about being at the right place at the right time and I was there at just the right time.


TECHNICAL NOTES:

The painting is in a limited palette of artists oil colours on a board I prepared myself. It was completed, on location, in one hit and not touched afterwards. It is 8 x 10 inches, 20 x 25 cm.


WHERE IS IT NOW:

I don't know. UK galleries and dealers don't tell the artist who buys their work. Sometimes they give me clues like 'it was bought by a member of the art-loving Sainsbury family (as in Sainsbury Wing of the National Gallery)'.


BASIC PALETTE:

Titanium White, Naples Yellow, Winsor Lemon, Cadmium Yellow, Yellow Ochre Deep, Cadmium Orange, Cadmium Red, Permanent Rose, French Ultramarine, King's Blue Light, Cobalt Turquoise Light, Raw Umber and Indigo.

I don't usually have all of these in one painting although they are on the palette. They are a mix of Winsor and Newton and Michael Harding Artists Oil Colours.


WEBSITE

www.royconnelly.com

No comments: